The outside of your home should be important to any current homeowners or potential buyers when looking for a house. It’s the first thing guests, neighbors, or yourself sees when coming home. You want it to look good; we get that, curb appeal should be important to any homeowners! The exterior of homes over time drastically loses its appeal if it’s not kept up with. You can thank that to natural elements, especially if you are in the Midwest. Snow, sun, heat, wind, and rain all have a major impact on the exterior of your home. So, it’s best to keep up with its curb appeal by painting. But, how can you tell when it’s time to repaint the exterior of your home? We have all the telltale signs it’s time to repaint the outside. However, keep in mind doing this task yourself can be a very time-consuming and stressful process, so we would also recommend going with a professional service that is skilled in painting the exterior of homes, not just the interior.
Peeling or Cracking Paint on Exterior
One of the most notable signs it’s time to repaint your home’s exterior is any peeling, cracking, flaking, or chipping of the paint. This is noticeable, so take a walk around your home and see if you find this. This is a normal occurrence, your home is the only defense for you from the outside, so again brutal weather over time just takes a toll causing these issues to happen. If you notice this, it’s not only important to paint for a better look but to continue to protect your house. Flaking and peeling can expose underlying materials, meaning those are no longer being protected and it could lead to mold, mildew, or dry rot. If that happens now, you’re in a whole other world of home improvement that can be costly. That’s why we highly recommend contacting a professional to paint your home, they can also easily spot any bigger and impactful problems, assess them, and point you in the right direction of what to do next. Hopefully, it hasn’t led to that yet, and now all you’ll have is a beautiful new coat of paint for your home to look its best.
Cracks in Caulk
Caulking is a sealant designed to fill gaps, cracks, nail holes, and other imperfections on the surface. It’s applied where moisture would penetrate the surface causing deterioration. Over time, cracking caulk can occur due to it losing its elasticity, which basically means it’s not doing the job it intended. Caulk is used in the home’s trim and siding; it helps to make the paint job last longer and look better. When it starts to wear away, it’s a telltale sign to repaint the exterior of your home. There is also the possibility it will need to get caulked. If you’re not experienced in caulk, you’ll need the help of a professional to point you in the right direction for one that can withstand extreme heat and cold.
Paint is Fading
Another obvious sign to the average homeowner that it’s time to repaint. It’s normal for paint to fade over the years, especially in warmer months as the sun beats down against it. For those who live near shade, your paint usually lasts longer. But, if you have a home that’s out in the open letting UV rays hit it, it’s going to fade, and it will be noticeable. UV rays can also lead to the color looking morphed. For example, beige can transform into pink in just weeks if the sun is constantly hitting it. Did you also know that dark colors fade more quickly than light? Yes, it’s true! If you’re looking for a new paint job that won’t fade as quickly as the last one try going for a lighter color. Also, keep in mind if you do live in a shaded area and haven’t noticed any color fading happening yet, it’s important to still do the maintenance like caulk repair and power washing to give it a clean look and boost up your curb appeal.
Signs of Water Damage
If you have any signs of water damage on the exterior of your home, it’s time to get a professional out there to fix it. Weak paint coverage leaves your siding (especially wood) vulnerable to water damage. You need to look for any deep cracks along the wood grain or any soft spots. As we mentioned above, these kinds of issues can lead to rot, mold growth. If anything on your home’s exterior has black or grey spots that’s also a sign of mildew or algae caused by moisture and poor circulation. A professional will be able to assess this, fix it, and paint it all with ease!
Additional Telltale Signs to Repaint House Exterior
The ones mentioned above are the major telltale signs it’s time to repaint the exterior of your home. However, we have even more we want to share! You don’t have to just wait to see any signs of paint failure before applying a new coat. It’s recommended that anyone who owns a home paint the exterior again every five to 10 years. Of course, additional factors can include quality, length of time, the prep, and exterior. Some of those additional factors are:
- Selling your home – If you’re putting your house on the market soon a fresh paint job on the outside can go a long way for potential buyers. The impact it has on the overall house makes it more appealing and expensive. That could lead to better or more offers by showing potential buyers that your home is in good shape and you’ve kept up with its maintenance.
- Gaps or Shrinking – If two wooden boards on your home have a new gap, that’s a warning sign for moisture possibly getting inside leading to mold, mildew, or dry rot. Maintaining paint throughout the years will protect it from any further damage, it’s best a professional look at the gaps or shrinking before painting to make sure there are no possible repairs needed before painting.
- New Trends – Trends come and go all the time. There is a chance you painted your home in a color that was once popular and now it’s just not. To keep your house looking its best and not outdated try finding out the new trends to paint your exterior with. A professional will point you in the right direction.
Every sign listed above is a good enough reason to make the move and paint the exterior of your home or even if you’re just ready for something new! It can make all the difference; you will be in love with your home all over again like when you first bought it just by painting it; it’s that easy!
How Often Should I Paint My Home’s Exterior?
Now that you know the signs to follow to decide when it is time to paint the exterior of your home, there’s another question that needs to be answered; how often should I repaint my home’s exterior? There are many different factors to consider when determining this question. The average home’s exterior should be repainted could be anywhere between five and 10 years. Follow the guide below for specific material approximate dates:
- Wood Siding – This type of material needs to be painted or stained more frequently. The approximate dates it should be updated can range from three to seven years.
- Aluminum Siding – The most durable material can last quite a long time. The exterior paint can be refreshed every five to 10 years.
- Brick – If your brick is unpainted, power washing by professionals is the best way to keep it looking fresh and brand new. If it’s painted a fresh coat will be needed every three to five years. Keep in mind that brick is one of the hardest materials to maintain yourself. Paint helps to block the brick’s porous surface, but moisture could seep in through the mortar. Also, because much of the surface is blocked, moisture will have no way to escape, ultimately leading to the breakdown of the brick. Contact a professional for help when painting or repairing brick exterior homes.
An additional factor you’ll have to consider is the quality of paint you are using. Higher quality exterior paint will last way longer than low-quality paint. If you just moved into a home and aren’t sure if it needs to be updated yet, it’s best to assume you’ll need to refresh it as soon as possible. You should contact a professional for the best advice if you’re struggling to determine the quality or how long it’s been.
Reach Out to Professionals
So now you’ve realized; it’s time to paint the exterior of my home. Whatever sign pointed you towards doing it you have realized it is now the time. If you’re looking for a professional service, which again is strongly recommended due to its difficulty and the chance of other repair issues being needed contact us here at Renovate Residential! Paint is more serious than people may realize. It could mean the difference between repainting in five years vs 10. If it’s not handled correctly it could lead to a lot of time and money being wasted. But we here at Renovate Residential, have all the necessary skills to paint exterior homes, assess issues, and even fix them for you! With more than 25 years of experience, there’s no better option than us here. We serve all across Southeastern Massachusetts. You can contact us for a free estimate and we will get back to you as soon as possible with a quote to start making the outside of your home look brand-new!